Award-Winning Board Games - Mensa Mind Games
The following games are all winners of the prestigious "Mensa Select" award, bestowed annually by the American Mensa Society. Each year, the Mensa Mind Games event is held somewhere in the United States. Mensa members are invited to play and judge the games which have been submitted to compete for the award. The five most popular games based on originality, game play, aesthetics, play value, and clarity of instructions receive the Mensa Select distinction, an award coveted among game manufacturers, and a symbol of quality for game players around the world.
Popular Mensa Select Games
10 Days In Africa
10 Days In Asia
10 Days In Europe
10 Days In The Americas
10 Days In The USA
Khet Laser Strategy Game
Wits & Wagers
Mensa Select Winners, By Year
2013 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Forbidden Desert — Gear up for a thrilling adventure to recover a legendary flying machine buried deep in the ruins of an ancient desert city. Find the flying machine and escape before you all become permanent artifacts of the Forbidden Desert!
- Ghooost! — Ghooost! is a fast, easy-to-learn card game with a Halloween-based theme and lots of twists and turns! Play your cards wisely to get rid of all the ghosts, undead, vampires, zombies and other spooky creatures haunting your mansion.
2012 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Iota — Iota is a compact card game in which players compete to score points by playing cards whose three attributes individually are either all the same or all different. Sounds easy, but as the grid expands, so do the possibilities!
- Mine Shift — Mine Shift is the maze game of shifting strategy. Move a jewel, rotate a tile, or shift the board. Ever-changing tiles create a new game every time you play!
- Snake Oil — In the Old West, the wily snake oil salesman had a special talent, getting the most skeptical customers to buy the most dubious-sounding products. Believe you me folks, Snake Oil will cure your doldrums and have your friends and family rolling in laughter!
- Tetris Link — Tetris Link is a table-top version of the famous arcade game, where players link Tetriminos of the same color to score, while blocking opponents. A Mensa Select award-winner!
2011 Mensa Select Mind Games
- InStructures — InStructures is a fast-paced, highly-interactive race to build wooden block structures against the clock, and is a challenging and competitive board game that easily adapts to a variety of skills and ages. Mensa Select award winner!
- Pastiche — A World of Beautiful Colors comes alive
- Pirate Versus Pirate — The Swashbucklin' Game of Swords and Rewaaarrrds
- Stomple — Outwit your opponents by stomping their marbles before they stomp yours
- Uncle Chestnut's Table Gype — An abstract strategy game with a random element
2010 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Anomia — Where common knowlege becomes uncommonly fun!
- Dizios — The bright, bold and brain-bending domino game with a dizzying twist.
- Forbidden Island — Join a team of fearless adventurers on a do-or-die mission.
- Word On The Street — The hilarious tug of words will have you on the fast lane to fun!
- Yikerz — Master magnetic forces to win this dynamic game.
2009 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Dominion — You assume the role of a monarch, as your parents before you.
- Marrakech — The bazaar is bustling: it's the big day at the rug market!
- Stratum — Strategy skills get stepped up a notch once space runs out.
- Tic-Tac-Ku — A great new adaptation of the old classic Tic Tac Toe.
2008 Mensa Select Mind Games
- AmuseAmaze — At last a word game where words don't have to be biggest to be best, and where even little words are winners.
- Eye Know — It's time to put your visual memory and general knowledge to work in this visual trivia game.
2007 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Qwirkle — This tactile wooden block game combines the logic and strategy of Set with the creative multi-maneuver game play of Scrabble.
2006 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Pentago — The object of the game is to create a row of five marbles, in any direction.
- Wits & Wagers — A fast-paced party game with a unique combination of trivia, gambling, and social interaction.
2005 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Ingenious — Players place colored tiles on the hexagonal board, blocking opponents and trying to protect themselves.
- Loot — Set sail for an exciting adventure of strategy and skullduggery in this captivating game.
- Niagara — Players move their canoes up and down the Niagara river to pick up gemstones.
2004 Mensa Select Mind Games
2003 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Blokus Classic — A fascinating strategy game for the whole family, very easy to learn, yet challenging to play.
- Cityscape — A challenging family game in which you and your opponent build competing views of a city.
- Fire and Ice — A strategic, move-and-place game with shifting strategies and complexities.
2002 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Dvonn — A challenging stacking game with very simple rules - control as many pieces as possible by building stacks.
- Smart Mouth — The quick-thinking, shout-it-out word game.
- Curses! — Players take turns drawing cards and putting "curses" on each other.
2001 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Dao — Simple to the eye, but perhaps a lifetime in mastering, Dao is a pure game of strategy.
2000 Mensa Select Mind Games
1999 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Apples To Apples - Party Box Edition — The wild, award-winning party game that provides instant fun for four to ten players.
- Fluxx — The card game with ever-changing rules! Sounds complicated it's really quite simple.
- Quiddler — A fast-paced game you can play using everyday words.
1998 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Avalam — Score the most points by building towers made of 1 to 5 pieces with your own color on top.
- El Capitan — You are a merchant in the 15th century, sailing to important cities of the Mediterranean.
- Spy Alley — Turn up the collar on the trench coat and dig in to some international intrigue.
1997 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Quoridor — Can you get your pawn across the board and block your opponent from doing the same?
- Rush Hour — A sliding block puzzle designed to challenge your sequential-thinking skills.
1996 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Pirateer — There is treasure on the island and you have the map to it, but everyone else does too!
- Rat-a-Tat Cat — Rats are high, cats are low ... get rid of the rats and go for the cats!
1995 Mensa Select Mind Games
1994 Mensa Select Mind Games
1993 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Inklings — The shorter the clue, the more points you score!
- Quarto! — Players take turns trying to line up four pieces, but your opponent who chooses which piece you play, not you!
1992 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Terrace — A strategy game played on a three dimensional board with 64 squares.
- Traverse — Chinese checkers gone wild!
1991 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Set — Get that grey matter churning as you try to find sets of three numbers, symbols, colors or shadings.
- The Amazeing Labyrinth — Traverse the constantly shifting maze and collect your cards.
1990 Mensa Select Mind Games
- Abalone — Loosely based on sumo wrestling, the goal of Abalone is to push your opponents marbles off the board.
See Also: Other Award-Winning Board Games