The "Strategy" game genre covers a broad range of different games and many sub-genres, ranging from war games such as "Axis & Allies" and "Risk", to fantasy games such as "The Lord Of The Rings", and everything in between.
Strategy games are also sometimes referred to as "role-playing" games, because the games often require to assume a new persona and slip into another person's skin, if only for the time it takes to play the game.
Some of the games that fall into the general "strategy games" category include:
- Axis and Allies – Recreate the pivitol battles of World War II
- Memoir '44 – A game of strategic World War II battles
- Risk – The classic game of world domination
- Stratego – A classic game of battlefield strategy
- Other War Games
- Bora Bora – A strategic adventure game in which you journey across tropical islands
- Carcassonne – An adventure game set in the medieval town of Carcassonne famed for its city walls
- Puerto Rico – You have the opportunity to become very wealthy in this classic strategy game
- Settlers of Catan – Try to tame the wilds on the remote but rich island of Catan
- Other Adventure Games
- Arkham Horror – A strategy board game series based on H.P. Lovecraft's 'Cthulhu Mythos'
- BattleLore – You're in command of a vast army on the battlefields of Medieval Europe
- The Lord Of The Rings – Based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy trilogy
- Other Fantasy Games
- Horror Games
- Science Fiction Games