Moving on from Monopoly
What?! Isn't Monopoly a family classic, beloved by generations? Yes, says Scott, and it can be a fun game, but it was designed nearly a hundred years ago, and there have been a lot of developments in board gaming in recent years, making Monopoly's gameplay no longer quite up to snuff.
So in this video, Scott provides a primer of sorts for modern board games, using elements of Monopoly as a point of reference, and offering up some game suggestions:
Here's a quick summary of the games that Scott recommended, based on what elements of Monopoly that different players might prefer:
- If you like to roll the dice and move around the board, try: That's Life
- If you like buying and investing in properties, try: Acquire
- If you like to collect sets of things, try: Zooloretto
- If you like trading with other players, try: The Settlers of Catan
- If you like to make deal, try: I'm The Boss
- If you like to bankrupt your opponents, try: Crunch
- If you enjoy the variety of cards in Chance and Community Chest, try: Dominion
- If you enjoy auctions, try: High Society
- If you'd lie to try a more modern version of a Monopoly-themed games, try: Monopoly Deal
Lots of really interesting games to try here – thanks, Scott!